Thread: Stray voltage
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 09:44 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
How's your livestock, looking good? If so then there is no problem other than you chasing numbers measuring voltage in your tank water. Voltage up to about 40 is unlikely to give you a shock or harm you or your livestock. Anything metal in your water has the potential to introduce a measurable voltage. Even lights may induce voltage in the water, fluorescents being the most likely due to the electromagnetic field produced by the tubes.

Grounding the tank may not only mask the 'problem' but also make it worse, turning the static voltage you are measuring into current flowing to the ground probe. The only thing with an electrical cord in my tank are heaters and a small pump delivering water to my skimmer. If I need to know my pH, I use a test kit. Water movement is by EcoTech pumps with electric cord outside. I don't use a controller, so can't really advise on what may be up with your Profilux.
My livestock are all doing well but except some corals have been getting STN but hat's that's a whole different issue. I don't think this is stray voltage or induced voltage from pumps since everything was unplugged when I was testing except for the controller, temperature and ph probe.

I did noticed today that the plug in for the controller is only 2 prongs so (no ground?) Could that be the reason the ph probe is making the voltage jump?