View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 AM

Cubeman is on a distinguished road
Default 37 gal column conversion to AIO with foam/rock wall

For this build I’m using a 4 year old 37 gallon ‘column’ aquarium measuring 20wx18dx24h. This will be an sps only tank when it is completed with a snail only CUC, various shrimp and a few fish. For me the enjoyment is in watching the reef come together; I could happily run without fish but adding them keeps the rest of the family interested.

This is not a ‘quick’ one week and it’s done build; I won’t be rushing anything. I’ll be trying a few things along the way that I’ve always wanted to do but never have. I thoroughly enjoy the ‘plan and build’ portion of each aquarium I start and the unique challenges each one brings, so I hope you enjoy tagging along as I document this one.

My plan is not fully hatched but here are a few of the steps I am committing to:
1) Clean up the front corner caulking. It has suffered from some overzealous algae blade scraping over the past few years and just plain looks ratty.
2) Converting it into an all in one tank.
3) Build a foam/rock back wall to hide the newly created bulkhead in step two.
4) Find and convert a unique cabinet into a functional aquarium stand.
The equipment list will be developed and detailed along the way.

As I type I am about 3 weeks in to this adventure and have been taking pics along the way. Stay tuned for some updates over the next couple of days.