View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 12:51 AM

chandigz is on a distinguished road

I never aclimate my coral other then for temp and sometimes salinity if its drasticly different. I Float the bag then into a dip then quarantine.
I'd be worrying about that temp swing tho. 4-6 degrees is a lot especially on a regular basis. I would try to keep the swing to a couple degrees. In the wild a 3 degree spike in temp has been blamed as the cause of mass bleaching and die off events in reefs. You could try moving your lights higher, changing your light cycle so that the halides come on during a cooler part of the day, adding fans when the halides are on, frozen bottles of water, or a chiller. When the weather is hot I usually shift my light cycle so that my lights come on in late afternoon after the hottest part of the day then I float a couple of frozen 2 ltr bottles of water in my sump when I home from work. On real hot days my tank gets a simulated "cloudy day". No halides just actinic.