View Single Post
Old 06-04-2015, 03:54 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

I use a QT. I'm not against the TT method, nor am I against adding fish directly to a DT. I just don't do it 'cause for me it's too risky. And because I QT everything I lose about 20% of my fish, but I've never lost one that was added to my DT due to being new to the tank.
I'm sure people who add fish directly to their DTs lose at least 20% of their new fish, so isn't it relative ?
QT does not kill fish, reefers kill fish ...
A proper QT setup can support almost any new fish, IMHO.
Now we'll hear the arguments about it after this post ...

On the other side of the fence with Rosco's comments in mind ...
MI apparently cycles itself out after approx 11 months.
So in Rosco's situation, if he added no new critters of any kind for 1 year he could potentially be MI free.
Then he could use a TTMethod or QT to keep his DT MI free.

Then there's the concern about Tomonts coming into the tank with 'stuff'.
They can be on anything wet. So what do you do ?
Even though I QT everything, I've given up worrying about the small things (thanks Brad).
I dip new corals, don't do anything beyond acclimation with shrimps and crabs, and for 3 years my tank appears to be MI free. Knock on wood.

So many choices ...

Then, if you do QT, what protocol do you employ ?
Aargh, this hobby is so much fun.
Aren't you glad you took it up, instead of basket weaving ?
I'll bet you could have had some awesome embroideries for sale by now at the local market

Then, what if it truly is Velvet ? As I said earlier, it's beyond my experience so I can't diagnose/recognize it. But if it is ....
Well, then you need to keep some chloroquine phosphate on hand, and I happen to have some if you need it ...

Last edited by gregzz4; 06-04-2015 at 03:59 AM.