View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM

somewherebeyondthesea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
If you are that offended by his post then perhaps this isn't the forum for you.
It was an honest post elicited by the facts stated in your original post.
IMO, you need to start to trust more knowledgeable people regarding seahorse keeping as just knowing salt water aquariums is far from sufficient.
Even keeping H. fuscus would be challenging long term in a tank that small, but H. reidi, H. erectus, or H. kuda and other standard sized seahorses would require very due diligence to housekeeping, and, frequent large water changes, to ensure long term survival.

Viperfish, a 14g is actually not good for dwarf seahorses. (unless you have about 150 or so dwarfs in it)
Better to use a 5g because dwarf seahorses usually don't hunt for their food but rather stay hitched and wait for their food to come by so they can snick it up, requiring heavy food density, a big waste in larger tanks. (uneaten bbs need to be removed before adding the new enriched bbs)
Sengerseahorse will have a chore to keep his dwarfs fed properly in the long term.

I am also setting up a seahorse tank, and by using the same site as you described, many of the species can be kept in tanks smaller than 30 G. (according to the chart) for example H.Zosterae can be kept in a min 5 G tank, and a H.Procerus could be kept in a min 10 G tank.

Don't get me wrong there are many larger species that require minimum 29-65 G, but if one did enough research, couldn't they properly keep a specific species in a tank smaller than 30 G?

Again just so I don't get read the riot act by other passionate canreefers, I want to really stress the fact that I've been researching seahorse care since November 2012 (I've been collecting a binder full of info). I have started building a seahorse tank since January, with the intent of placing them in said tank in April once I beleive the parameters are correct and the tank parameters are stable.

I welcome your thoughts with an open mind, and maybe even a little thick skin. I realize canreefers can be aggressive, but realize it is tough love, I too have a newfound strong passion for this hobby and I hope I never come across as offensive...but rather informative!