View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo
Default 225gal in-wall predatory mixed reef upgrade

Earlier this week I gave Concept the go-ahead to build my final upgrade / dream tank. It will be 225gal 5'x3'x2'H euro braced, with external Herbie overflow, Starphire front and sides. I have been really resisting the urge to make it larger and more complicated which is something that I didn't expect.

Once complete I'll build a wood stand and it will go into the wall here. The old 120gal display will then become the new sump.

For now I will continue to use all of the same equipment as before which consists of:
Two 250W LumenMax 3's with 14k Phoenix (until my stash runs out) over the display and one over the sump/frag tank.
Precision Marine Bullet 3 skimmer with Iwaki 70 pump
Reeflo Dart return
Precision Marine 622 Calcium Reactor with effluent chamber
DIY Kalkwasser Reactor
Neptune Apex
Two Tunze 6105 for sump/frag tank flow.
BRS dual media reactor
75gpd Airwaterice RO/DI.

The one exception is I'm adding a Reeflo Hammerhead closed loop with an Oceans Motions 4Way (with 1-1/2" outputs). Currently I use the 4 Way with the Dart as the return and wave maker.

Apart from simply wanting a larger tank this upgrade is to increase the swimming space for the fish, eliminate the centre brace, silence and hide the overflow and increase the sand bed area.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour