View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 06:59 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I think at only 54 gallons your tank is pretty full already! I don't think there is room for 3-5 Anthias. I wouldn't put Anthias in a 54-gallon tank to begin with. They require a lot of food. The easiest ones to keep long-term are Lyretails, but the males are certainly too big for 54 gallons.
I second this, I have tried a few different types of anthias in my 90cube and they all have slowly dwindled, I feed a lot but the case here is agression. I had about 7 disparate which lived for 4 months then every month one would go missing, added some hardy lyre tails 4 females 1 male they all got along for awhile but then I made the mistake of adding a Bi colour anthias, never get this one. It killed the male and now only 3 females left.

Moral to the story if you want to add anthias buy a Randall's male and only keep that one. You will need to feed a lot to satisfy their high metabolism.

To give you an idea I feed 3-5 times a day and they don't stop eating but unlike my other fish that need the Jenny Craig program these fish are lean.

Because in the reefs these fish get an abundant supply of food all day, unfortunately we cannot replicate that. Unless you have a large enough system to sustain a school of them just enjoy one and save your money. There are a few people that have been able to keep 5-6 dispars but they feed a lot.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips