View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 04:39 AM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road
Default Boomboy's Comeback Tank

Hey guys

its been a while for me, maybe not as long as others, but i think around 2 years that i got out of the game, (feels like forever to me). Anyways Might as well tell the story as to why im getting back into it. I am renovating our basement and am almost finished, the thing is i need projects in order to not go insane in the long winter days in edmonton.

So i suggested that i start a new tank, and she was all for it. WOOT! ( for the married people having the wife behind the tank helps )

So i actually havent even ordered the tank and the reason for that is I would like everyone's help in some of the decision i have to make that im not sure about anymore since ive been out for a bit.

THE PLAN :

Stock Plans - Full reef from lps,sps, zoas, brains, and of course fish.

Tank - CHANGED 36"x24"wide x 18" tall (wife didnt want me spending tons of money on a new light for the 6ft tank.

Lighting - t5's 3ft 6 bulbs.

Skimmer - Vertex 100 in sump ( currently have)

Return Pump - will either be a new pump or my current QO4000H

Powerheads- Not sure yet need suggestions

I currently have a all the live rock and will buy sand once im ready, i will be building my own stand.

Few questions.

1. Where is the best place to get a custom tank considering both quality and price, for both tank and sump together. would even consider going to calgary if worth it.

2. Ive run into the problem of where to bring out my return pump as i would like the flow on the other end of the tank so water cycles properly.

3. run into the problem of placing powerheads as i dont want wires and cords all over the place as i want to keep the tank as clean looking as possible. Ive thought about just one powerhead ( http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/wp...ater+Pump.html) just on the end of the glass to create most of the flow but on the pricey end. i also would consider doing a closed loop if that was the only cheaper way of keeping the build clean. but then where do i put the exits on the CL.

4. ive never had t5's before and was wondering on bulb selection because i will probably only have one shot to get it right the first time, with changes later down the road ( i would like to get the right colour the first time) ( i also prefer towards the bluer side slightly)

5. What is the best cheapest ro/di unit out there, since i think i need one as i dont want to hull 5G jugs around.

6. Salt selection is pretty important i think when it comes to having a reef. are there any new salts out there that are good both price wise and balance wise?

7. Flow through tank - i forget what kind of flow is needed in this kind of tank. both through the sump and in the tank.

8. Last question i swear Sump Designs- i want to put a refugium in the sump but not sure if just putting it off to the side or having all the water just flow over it works best. pretty much still working on the entire design for the sump so suggestions welcome.

I obviously understand that people will have different opinions but i would like to hear them. Ive got the entire summer to build this thing but would like to start early because i know how long it takes for everything to settle down and actually get things in the tank.

The only things i would like to stay is the length of tank and probably keeping the overflow down on one end. Also want to keep the tank looking as clean as possible. Im very handy so DIY ideas are welcome as long as they look good, i dont mind spending money on things if i cant produce the same look, but if looks dont matter ( hidden) then to save a few bucks i would do it.

Thanks to the people that actually read the whole way down and Thanks to the ones who take the time and reply. I might as well put one picture to where we are at with the renos, the next stages go by so fast once we are done with the mudding and sanding it. The room is alot bigger than it looks. Its a 17 x 11 ft room ( the door is super wide making the room seem smaller in the picture)

Last edited by Boomboy; 07-19-2011 at 10:52 PM.