Thread: ich help
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 06:47 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

That is good but I prefer to treat with Seachem Paraguard with normal salinity and if marine velvet would show up, I can treat right away without having to wait until the salinity is right (many days). I am afraid to use hyposalinity just as preventive in case MV would show up. I do have chloroquinine but for those who have to use copper it's not a good practice to do hypo without any sign. Also Paraguard will cure Broklynella which is often confused with marine velvet and can kill as fast. Hypo will not cure brooklynella or MV.

Usually 3 weeks in Paraguard is enough to kill ick if fish are carrier but do not show any sign.

Prazipro is good are a pro-active treatment as well, and it is reef safe (except xenia don,t like it but they survive).

If ID on time and treated on time, probably marine velvet is curable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
I agree avoid copper.

I use hypo as a pro-active treatment as per this article, even if no signs of Ich are present. I had a situation one time where I also bought some shrimp along with new fish, and so didn't use hypo, just observed the fish in the QT for several weeks. They all looked good, so I transferred them into my DT. A few weeks later, Ich showed up in my DT, and soon I had a full blown outbreak. I fed my fish well (not much else you can do in your DT), but lost 2 of resident fish before the Ich subsided (I think the survivors can develop a short term immunity). Ironically non of the new fish died, but they obviously were carriers. I now assume any fish I get from anyone, LFS or private, carries Ich. It is certainly very common, no question about that.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/fish

I have never used Paraguard, so can't comment about that, other than what you can read on the internet.

I do have PraziPro, which I understand can be used together with hypo. Haven't tried it yet, but it is supposed to help get rid of other parasites like flukes and worms. Will do that next time I QT new fish.