View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 06:13 PM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltcreep View Post
The cost is a factor and it's something that if you aren't going to commit to diving locally afterwards, don't buy a lot of gear. Stick with a proper fitting mask. There is nothing more frustrating than having your mask leak constantly on a dive. All your other gear is easily rented and most shops keep it in great shape.
Buying my own mask is what my coworker (I think he has the instructor license) suggests also, and my own snorkel. Should I get the items at the shops or find them online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoh View Post
I did mine at ocean pro divers for $280 with a Groupon. I paid an additional $380 for the dry suit certification and a 6 month rental package. Totally worth it.
Ryan, what does a 6 month rental package get you? Seems like Ocean Pro is a good choice with good reviews and a decent price with the Groupon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I don't know much abut the reefs in Japan, but I am SO jealous!!! You're going to see some crazy stuff that can't (legally) be exported from Japan. The only advice I can give is to choose your dive company in Japan carefully, just like anywhere else.
Mindy, I promise to take lots of awesome vids and pics to make you more jealous

Kidding aside, the place we're planning to go is Zamami, an hour's boat ride from Naha, Okinawa. Has anyone dived there or around there?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice!

Brian