View Single Post
Old 12-07-2003, 12:01 AM

chwkreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
In my opinion, BTA's will be fine for what you're looking for. Of the hosting species of anemone they are possibly the least demanding.

Carpets need to be a careful choice. For one, saddle carpets (S. haddoni) are fish eaters. Secondly, they can be fussy.

With the possible exception of sebae anemones (H. crispa) none of the natural symbionts for A. percula or A. ocellaris are ideal "first anemone" choices because they are high-needs, high-maintenance, and exceptionally large, and tend to have dismal survival records in captivity. It can be done, but meeting their needs must be a high priority.
Thanks for the recommendations. I have never had an anemone in the 13 years of reefkeeping but from what I've read you are bang on with the comments I have read regarding the natural hosts for the ocellaris. I know some people debate this issue of carpet anemone's being difficult but I would rather stay clear of them and go with something that is easier to keep and whose outcome is more predictable and optimistic. Having said this, I still would be tempted to try keeping a carpet if someone could provide me with good first hand tips on keeping one.

Has anyone on this board kept carpets and if so what are the main points to consider when keeping one?