View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 05:24 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough
Default Coming to a Theater Near You

Super El Niņo vs The Blob! How's that for a random thought? Came to me while listening to CBC radio yesterday on the way up to the ski hill. A scientist from Victoria was describing this "Blob" of unusually warm ocean water in the Gulf of Alaska that formed around 2013 & is expected to dissipate in the near future. You'd think a community of highly educated scientific folks would come up with a more 'scientific' term for this phenom?

In any case, listening to this program about Super El Niņo and The Blob duking it out over who's going to determine the weather along the west coast & inland, reminded me of the good old Japanese horror flick genre way back when. You know, Godzilla, Mothra et al. Hence the title of this thread!

Not sure who's winning, but there were certainly dire predictions about the possible effects on the snowy season due to Super El Niņo. It's been a better than average start for snow sports enthusiasts thus far, so I say, bring it on, in your face Super El Niņo. I hadn't heard of "The Blob" prior to yesterday so did a little research. Apparently it's had a negative effect on certain marine species adapted to cooler waters, such as salmon & brought some warmer water species up to have a look around a bit farther north.