View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insguy View Post
It depends on the location. I have crossed the boarder many times with coral, inverts and fish. Depending on the crossing they all want different things. I have not been asked for a cites certificate, it is only required when they suspect smuggling, CITES are for protected species. The most that they have asked for is a receipt, location harvested and the species. I have had suppliers out of Florida send me a NAFTA certificate of Origin.

From what I know there are three reasons why they would disallow your purchase. Those would be along the lines of smuggling, quarantine or improper paper work.

Understand that I have everything cross a boarder that is very small where things are more relaxed. I also cross frequently and know the boarder agents by first name.

Like it's been said, you're just getting lucky. Most cbsa people have no idea coral and stuff can't go across.

If they knew and let you across then they would be assisting your smuggling operations. They would lose their job and probably be charged with you.

Smuggling charges prevent travel into the us, and many other countries and will guarantee a search on every arrival back.
It's conservation officers that cbsa should be consulting when corals etc are going across.

I'm not saying that smuggling doesn't happen, but don't try and fool yourself into thinking it's Ok.

Zoas can come across just fine as long as they are on ceramic plugs and not live rock.