View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road
Default Spitfires 6' 120 reef build

So after putting some though into it I decided to shut down my 8' salty as I wanted to move to a higher end reef tank without breaking the bank by outfitting my 8' with higher end equipment

So I sold my tank, most of my larger fish and now I just need to sell the skimmer

Today (technically yesterday) I picked up a scratched up 6' 120ish gallon tank stand and canopy with the intention of re finishing the stand and canopy and replacing the front pane of glass, the reason I bought a scratched tank is because I wanted to keep the hight closer to 18" and couldn't justify passing up the deal I found

So the fun begins, started stripping the tank down the second I got it in my garage and looking at the tank without trim I've decided to go rimless and ditch the canopy

The tank is 72x19x20 which puts it at 118g which I'm alot happier with than I would be a standard 125 and has 12mm glass all around

I'm still unsure if I'm going to remodel the stand (bit of belt sander work and some new stain) or build one out of steel tube (doesn't cost me anything)

If I build a new one I get a nice work bench for in my garage from the old stand which I desperately need

but then I need to go find my keys for my friends fab shop and go build one

As much as I love eurobraced tanks this one is going to have either 1 center brace or 2 braces spaced out

Sump will be custom size (probably built out of the piece I'm removing from the tank but size will depend on which stand option I go with

As far as equipment goes I'm not set on anything yet but I'm thinking:

Diy led
Swc cone skimmer
Vertex reactor for biopellets
Vertex reactor with hydroton
Hc powerheads (eventually will upgrade to tunze)
Return pump will be either mag12 or Laguna 1500gph not sure which one to go with yet

Livestock will be all the leftovers from my 8':
Lieutenant tang
Purple tang
Tomini tang
Hippo tang
Cleaner wrasse
Blue throat trigger
Hawk fish
3 damsels (wife likes them cuz they're pink)

Corals:

Random sps
Acans
Blastos
Zoas
Favia

So tomorrow I get to order some glass and start cutting seams

Tank is getting cut apart 100% so I can get rid of the clear silicone and go to black