View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 07:02 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
1: Is there a time period where the seas and oceans current comes to a lull so fish and coral
can eat? Or do fish have to work for their food?
2: Does the moon actually give off enough light to help the fish navigate and does the lunar
cycle actually effect how fish larvae or eggs hatch? And do fish sleep?
3: Why when diving or snorkeling do we quite often come across cold areas? So what is
an ideal temp?
4: Does the seas or oceans ever stop skimming or is it a 24/7 operation? And that foamy stuff
that is on the beach good to play in or bite at? I see small kids do that often

I ask these questions all though they may be silly cause I don't really know the answers and if I'm trying to recreate a little ecosystem in my home I would like to do it right.
Ok Bill this is what I have come up to try and shed some light:
1:I don't think the ocean has a reefkeeper or timer attached, so fish do have to work to eat.
2:The moon is like having a night light on in your room so you don't stub your toe on the way to the can, also has anyone ever dove at night and heard snoring?
3:Cold area's, hmmm! not sure, is there an ideal temp? Again not sure, my tanks are @79f is it right! who knows for sure.
4:I think let's leave the skimmer on, the ocean currents and waves don't seem to stop and have a break. Yummy! shore foam we have all seen it and some of us have even tasted it, sorta like having a sip of the black glop when you empty your skimmer"NOT".
I'm not sure there is a right way when your a reefer, I find if it works for me I keep doing it. Some of us are very strict with tank maintenance as to water changes, dosing, etc. etc. etc. I try and use good quality equipment to keep the work load lower and the enjoyment high.
When you become a slave to your supposed hobby I think your enthusiasm dies away.