View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 10:13 PM
Proofed by Wheelman

Cujo#31 is on a distinguished road

Do you clip the corals off the plugs or do you leave plugs on?
No, they come off the plug, they are dipped and re-mounted. If the plug is real encrusted and established I'll leave it alone and just clean the S**T out of the bottom of the plug.I have a coral QT anyhow
What do you do with dead areas? Maybe a dead tip or a bit of skeleton showing near the base from gluing?
Watch it real close first before I decide on an action. Did I mention I have a coral QT tank?
What do you use for a dip?
Revive
How long do you dip for?
8-12 minutes
Do you wear personal protective equipment?
No, I'm sure I should, but I handle most everything with long tweezers
Do you touch the dip water?
Occasionally. Haven't had the urge to drink it yetthough
What do you think your choice of dip is protecting you against? (<-- this is fun!)
The list is long, yet distinguished. I dip to see what comes off, then I inspect the frag under my magnifier/ desk lamp. People that think a simple "dip n plop" philosophy is good enough. It ain't. Eggs survive the dip process, and missing one egg spells doom for your tank.Even clean dipped corals sit in QT purgatory until they have hit the 30 day mark. It also helps prevent nuisance algae from violating my display.
Do you dip all corals or only some corals?
If I can't dip it, it don't go in.
How do you decide if you dip or not?
I ask myself, "Do you feel lucky today punk? Well, do ya?" I have stopped playing the frag dip roulette game. Sure has put my mind at ease when I look at my display
Do you examine the dip water afterwards?
Yup, there might be some juicy treats! I'm always curious to see what might have been unleashed into my tank 2 minutes after I didn't dip it.
What do you do with the corals if you see something on the coral or in the dip water
Intio the circular file it goes. That hurts some times, but not anywhere near as painful as watching your display simply melt away.
Do you tell the seller if you find something? (<-- they never believe you anyway haha)
Yup. Cuz they might not know.
Do you place the corals in a quarantine tank after dipping or straight into your display?
QT. 30 days minimum
Any other details???
When I receive new SPS from a shipped source, I will only remove the plug and re-mount then into my QT to recover a bit from shipping before I expose it to the stress of dipping.Having a QT tank should rank up there with flow and lighting for reefers IMO
I learned a long time ago that the best practice to start with is to only deal with reefers and vendors you trust. If you don't know any, a simple forum inquiry will leave you with tons of resources.
If the guys I know don't have what I'm looking for, and a stranger does....I'll wait if I can't find anything out about the stranger.
I also have always practiced the FRAG ONLY policy for my display. I even turn my nose to mini colonies because the bigger the piece, the more hiding spots there are for the nasties. I am really lucky that I have the space for a QT. Some reefers don't and I'm blown away that they have not suffered serious pest setbacks.
I picked up a few words of wisdom from a very accomplished and well known reefer out here, Rich (bBlinks). He doesn't care how much a frag has encrusted, the frag comes off. "Why worry about growth? It will grow back.Why put a whole tank at risk because of a little encrusting?"
I am very interested in seeing how the new WWC product Purge pans out. Because if it does, It's definitely going to be part of my QT Regime.