Thread: ATO failure
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 01:27 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I used to use a Tunze, but after about 10 years it started acting up so I appointed my Apex controller to do the job because I already had enough spare parts laying around. I use two simple float switches from eBay into the breakout box and a little Hydor utility pump. I used to use Maxi Jets but they would only last for about a year before the impeller blades would fall apart. This is my program:
Fallback OFF
Set ON
Min Time 000:30 Then ON (so that the pump runs for at least 30 seconds whenever it comes on)
If Sw5 OPEN Then OFF (one float switch)
If Sw6 OPEN Then OFF (second float switch for redundancy)
If Sw4 CLOSED Then OFF (water on the floor sensor)

My freshwater reservoir holds a maximum of 13gal which is not enough to overflow my sump and replenishes itself ever 1-2 days with RO/DI water which is controlled by a solenoid on a timer. I evaporate 3-4 gal daily. I've had some issues with these ATO systems not coming on and my sump water level dropping a bit before I noticed but never staying on and causing a flood.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour