View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 03:19 PM

Jpower is on a distinguished road
Default New Fluval M90, Calgary

Hello to anyone checking this out. Im brand new to the forum and brand new to saltwater. I've been reading everything I can about keeping a reef tank and decided to take the plunge. Im new so any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Plan on keeping 5 fish, a shrimp and some sps.

I ended up going with the Fluval M90 as I really liked the look. The tank has been placed in my theater room (hoping the noise wont bother the fish too much) as it keeps a steady temp and has no direct light. I purchased 40lbs dry rock from Wai's, 20 lbs live rock, a bag of live sand, a bag of cut to fit filter pad and 2 Korilia 600 powerheads. I may have gotten too much live rock but im hoping that will be good for the tank.

The tank was filled with Ro water mixed in buckets and filled up last Tuesday. All rock and sand was placed into the tank ahead of the water. I added a 6 pack of Prodibio Start Up as per advice from a LFS. I have been taking readings everyday since and am hoping to see changes soon. I have had 0 amonia and 0 nitrite for the last 3 days and am starting to notice my dry rock is turning a darker shade. I have kept the lights off so far.

The tank came with a fluval power head, Fluval SEA High Performance 80cm LED marine lighting, and a Fluval PS1 skimmer. I replaced the powerhead and am hoping to replace the skimmer with something a little quieter. I am unsure about the light. I really dont like how I cant program the day and night switch on seperate timers. If anyone can recomend another led I'm open to suggestions.

I will attempt to post a few pics if I can figure out how. Please bear in mind that rock placement will be changed.