View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_bluejay View Post
I live in a strata (townhouses not condo), and I've got 220 + sump in my place. I'm also the chair of the strata.
What is important here is where the bylaw comes from, as we have the EXACT same wording as will a whole lot of other strata. The reason it is there is when the condo act became the strata act, there was a "default" set of bylaws that automatically became the bylaw, so it is not that the strata has a problem with fish tanks, or dog, or cats or anything -- it is just that nobody sees a need to modify the bylaw.

Since it is written with the term "reasonable" number of fish has some neat twists to it -- I have 8 fish, a big tank, but only 8 fish. Generally speaking this is not a battle that any strata council would care to get into a fight over as if it came down to court, the strata would probably lose.

The short and sweet -- Don't make it a problem for your neighbors, and no one will care. Make sure you are not pushing the limits of the load capability of the building and don't flood anyone below you is you have anyone underneath.
This is the same as my situation. Same bylaw. I elected NOT to bring it up because that was just asking for trouble. In my case, I have 16 fish...which I consider "reasonable" so no specific council permission would be required. (I have over 500 gallons of water, though!).
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436