View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 05:08 PM

Reefadiction is on a distinguished road
Default Reducing Nitrate Using Carbon Source???

So, I have decide to open up with the idea of have zero Nitrate band wagon. My sps dominant system had run for many years with Nitrate level average at 5ppm to 10ppm. All my acros and other sps have great growth and coloration. Fish are heavily fed. In general, I'm extremely happy with my system. I really want to see if Zero Nitrate will make my corals grow faster than they are. Most of my sps currently produce 1/2inch a month.
I religiously perform 15 percents water change monthly. Recently I tried to do 15percent water change weekly to see if Nitrate drops to zero....it's been 10 weeks and lowest i get is 5ppm. I then tried to starve my poor fish for a week for the sake of Zero Nitrate experiment and Nitrate is still not Zero.
Now, many people have claimed using carbon source such as vodka, vinegar or just plain old white sugar to achive Zero Nitrate. Anyone here tried this method? Please input your success or even failure. Please give me your stories and maybe a chemistry lesson in regard of dosing carbon. Thanks folks and happy reefing.

My parimeters:
NH3/NH4=0
PH=8
PO4=0.03 or lower
ALK=8
Ca=450
Mg=1400-1500