View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 06:41 AM

brutherb is on a distinguished road
Default live sand question

This question is 2 fold I am switching from a 60g to a 150g i just emptied the 60 g tonight I have the live sand in a rubbermaid with a heater and a pump should I wash it and if so just with fresh water. I am also dealing with a hair algae issue part of the reason i moved up i had to much live rock sediment was settling everywhere because i couldn't get enough flow around everything. so now I can spread the live rock out a biit more. lastly i have 20 g established water, but again i had a serious algaee issue I am running a phos ban reactor but it wasn't helping enough. I have scrubbed each piece of live rock before i put it into my temporary tank and the rubermaids. I am hoping that i can increase the flow around the rock preventing sediment from settling and that the cleaning would help enough with a substantial water change, and some new rowna in the reactor. I know the best solution would have been to put it in the closet for a few weeks to a few months but i didn't want to loose the corals i had. And yes just replaced all of my bulbs before anyone asks.

Thanks for any responses