View Single Post
Old 01-01-2022, 11:02 PM

Phormium is on a distinguished road
Default When a coral grows too big?

What do people do when a coral gets too big? I have a beautiful green Montipora with an unusual sculpted form that started out the size of a big potato chip and is now about 18” across and tall. It’s gorgeous and I love it, but it creates a huge blob of shade that has taken over 50% of my 120gal tank, so I also kinda hate it. Plus it doesn’t seem impressive in side view as you see almost none of its colour or shape.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Try and get rid of it in one piece? It’s not attached to any of my other rock structure as it’s growing on its own small rock that I’ve wedged among some other rocks. It could likely be easily removed, but it’s so fragile how would it be transported? Would someone even want to buy it or trade?
I break off palm-sized chunks from time to time and trade them in or give them away but that’s my full extent of fragging experience and I don’t really have any interest in that.
Or should I break it off its base and try to lower it? Although shade would still be an issue, I’d at least get to see the top surface.
What else could I do? The tank has been in stalemate for a long time as I’m kinda frozen unable to decide what to do. I thought this Forum may provide some better input—suggestions appreciated. Photos attached, pic doesn’t do justice to how much shade there is.

Last edited by Phormium; 03-25-2023 at 10:40 PM.