View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 02:47 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Your tank is consuming more alk than your dosing. There are some dosing calculators online. If your worried test daily until you have it figured out.

Your going to need to figure out 2 doses here.

#1 the dose to get your tank back up to where you want it. Then get the tank there.

#2 will be your maintenance dose. When you have your alk at whatever you want,say its 9dkh. 24 hours later, that's important it needs to be 24 hours, test again. Say you all dropped to 8. So you need to dose 1dkh of alk a day. Input that into the calculator and it will give you a dose based on the type of mix you use. I usually start at 3/4 strength and go from there. If after 2 or 3 days I dont see rise I will do full strength, 2 or 3 days later if I dont see a rise I will add 5 or 10% volume to the dose. 2 or 3 days later same thing. I am testing daily until the alk levels out and holds at the desired DKH for a few days. From there I test weekly and adjust. When trying to figure out my dose, the alk rises I do not increase my dose, I keep my dose up until it reaches my target. If it is still going up, I cut it back until it drops below my desired dkh, and go in the middle from my reduced dose to my over dose. See what happens when it levels out. Adjust from there.

Using the calculators there isnt as much playing as it sounds. As long as you calculate total system volume properly it's usually bang on. Account for rock displacement, sump, water in the pipes, reactors, skimmer, etc.