Thread: ick
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 04:08 PM

DorySaid is on a distinguished road

Get a cleaner wrasse. There's another product on the market that is supposed to be reef safe called 'Kick Ich'. I've tried it before and didn't really hurt any coral but some people don't advise putting anything in their tanks which i don't disagree. At the same time, I believe that products like kick ich are safe for reef tanks. Kick ich is supposed to work in such a way that prevents the protozoa from repopulating, not exactly killing the parasites directly. It works almost the same as a UV sterilizer, so if you believe they help aquariums then likely kick ich would too. But I don't think it would be magical either.
I understand you would rather not tear down a whole tank to QT fish etc. Your only option is to raise temperature, use or not use reef safe medication, and let the Ich run its course. If some fish live through then they should continue to live through it. If it wipes out all your fish then let the tank be empty for at least 6 weeks before adding them again. And, if you don't have a UV sterilizer already then invest in a big enough one for your tank for some future preventitive piece of mind.
It's always a trial and error, lucky/unlucky bout when it comes to aquatic diseases led by a lot of anectodal debates.