View Single Post
Old 02-06-2022, 06:38 PM

Guy is on a distinguished road
Default Update

2/3 Local orders arrived the next day in the lower mainland and all were very happy with the contents and content with the packaging. The last package arrived after 3 days and had minimal die off, (~10 pods)

There's still an order of phytoplankton travelling to Ontario, that'll be interesting to follow up on to see how things did!

There's a person running the same tests I did long ago on some of the usual suspects of "Phyto Live" and is coming to the same conclusions that I did... Most commercial phyto isn't live, even if it says it is on the bottle. It doesn't reproduce and it's not viable. Seems it's treated with UV or sterilized in a way to prevent it from reproducing. They also often use a brown algae with the blend that will darken the colour and make it appear more dense, while at the same time, no doubt adding a different nutrient profile (that's good!)

Probably too much information, but each phytoplankton and diatom has a different density vs opacity. They differ greatly. All comes down to the physical size of the cell. Nannochloropsis for instance is 2-3 µm, Tetraselmis is 3.5-25 µm, Isochrysis 4 to 6 μm, Thalassiosira 4 to 32 µm, Synechococcus 0.8 to 1.5 µm.

What that means is that 1 million cells of the largest thalassiosira will appear much denser than 1 million cells of tiny nannochloropsis. I'm not sure what the competitions exact measurements of mixing are, but ours is a 50/50 split.

Reef Solutions currently only uses 2 Green Phytos, Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis in our blend. As such, it won't be able to compete with the brown algae in terms of colour density.

BUT

Ours is alive. Like, actually alive.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out!

Last edited by Guy; 02-06-2022 at 06:44 PM.