Thread: AndyL's 5.5
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 03:16 AM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL
Default AndyL's 5.5

Ok,

Sorry, no pictures of the tank today; got a few in the basement, but I'm just not going to get one cleaned up and ready to go tonight (busy arguing election results with the wife ) So this will really be a last minute thing

Here's where I'm starting - Grabbed a nasty broken AGA 5.5 yesterday, calipered the glass 2mm / 3/32"... Not going to survive what I intend- so I'll follow proper procedure, get ya a picture of a stock AGA 5.5g (although I can't fit my puppies into it). Going to rebuild tank out of 1/4" - adding 3" in length (for herbie overflow - display length will actually loose a bit down to 14 3/16").

Re-incarnation of tank:

Overall system (with stand):

So why the huge stand you may ask?

Lots to squeeze in there... Surge Device (Likely carlson - borneman could be swapped in), Sump, Upside down DSB, Multitasking this - will also be acting as calcium reactor, been talking with a bio geek friend, CO2 will improve denitrification in DSB; CO2 + Aragonite = Calcium reactor... CO2 of course blows the budget - So I'm going to pull an old planted tank trick out of my tookus (google "DIY CO2") Question becomes, do I have to deduct the cost of the coke bottle (Full) or Empty (deposit - could of course argue it'll be recycled later thus no net cost ) I'm just praying Food & additives covers me on sugar + yeast Stand also needs to fit lights (yet to be determined, I hear aquagiant closed shop - now I'm scrambling) May end up going 4x15w T8 for cost savings, but I'm going to build to allow for T5HO upgrade after... Oi vey, how the heck am I gonna run this with a single pump?

I'll bombard a little more tomorow...

Andy
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.