View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 01:10 AM

Sasq40 is on a distinguished road
Default Sasqs 66gallon tank build

Well now that I've had my tank running for a month figured be a good time to start my thread. Took a few months of working in most of my spare time to get here, two trips to the Er, but so far it's been worth it.

Here's how the tank start, had it running fw for about 5 years then meet a local reefer and was hooked, wanted to bring a old tank out if storage but wife said three was enough so that was that.

After that I started ordering parts and grabbing materials and started at it.
base of the stand was all welded up from by my buddy as I held pieces, he was a little trigger happy and didn't warn me he was welding so I got welders flash, which was Er trip 1/2 for the build..

Here's the stand slowly coming together, I'm no professional but it turned out nice enough for us.

And here's were Er trip 2 happened, was getting cocky with the table saw making shim and cut the tip of my off, so I had to slow down on the build for a while.

Finally my bulkhead and bits showed up so I got drilling.

First time drilling glass and went a lot smoother and easier then people make it seem.

Next was the design for the overflow, in my mind my tank was alot wider and my overflow smaller Lol so had to make some changes

And here's the revised version

Now with the help of my wife we stained it and started setting it up
here's my plumbing it the first time

Finally setup and running with rock I had curing for two months in salt water brute cans.

Sadly after a few days of it running got some sand stuck on my mag float which scratch my tank enough to enough me so I had to turn the tank around a replumb.

Now my mentor moved from his 75 gallon to a nano so I bought his setup for his rocks and few other parts. Moved all his rocks sand,40gallon of his water and a few fish.

Then had the inlaws grab a setup for cheap in Edmonton I was going to use as qt tank until I found my other 25g after the were heading home. Found some real nice frags that paid for the tank and I sold most the tank parts and made my money back, so free coral