View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 03:16 AM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

Alright, I have gotten lazy lately in keeping this thread updated, so here goes it. Grab a coffee and a quick smoke because this is gonna be abit of a read.

It has been some couple of weeks since I started to raise my salinity, lower my dosing, and find some freaking way to make the gorilla nipples and the octospawn happy. Well, I did it. The damn things are happy now.

So I ended up raising the salinity up to 1.024 which seemed to make everything happier. But I still hade problems with the octospawn being so damn sensitive to everything. And to boot I had some heat issues from the light and canopy mix.

So first thing first, I had to fix the heat issues right away because Terry had the intention of storing his coral in my tank will he did a tank transfer from his 90 gallon tear down to his 30 gallon starfire cube(some of you have seen his tank) So what I did is added a fan bolted to the canopy facing outward and made sure that there was about 8 feet of power cord for it for whenever i want to get my grubby fingers into the tank. Well that solved the heat issue for the day time

And then I aquascaped the tank to better suit the light demands of some corals. and that seemed to work in making the gorrila nipples happier. They dont reach that much anymore.

And then I did something that I promised myself that I would not do on this 'Simple' Tank setup......I added a protein skimmer.

Good thing to because my nutrients were starting to go through the roof which was increasing the phosphates which in turn was increasing that annoying green crap everywhere. Well with the protein skimmer on there I now have clearer water, lower algea growth and a very happy octospawn.

But with the extra piece of equipment I have extra noise for the night time and as some of you know, that tank is in my room so I had to unplug the protein skimmer and the fan at night. That got old after a few days so I set up the protein skimmer and the fan on a timer with the lights so I only have that noise during the day time which isnt that bad. And dont worry, surprisingly the protein skimmer fires up succesfully every morning.

Now enough chatter and more pictures like you guys want.