View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 06:35 AM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

A Eurobraced tank well allow you 2 stick with 5/8 thick glass as a minimum and you have peace of mind that the Euro bracing adds the extra strength and stability not only on the corners but also on the long stretch of the glass. Glasses really good at taking compression but not so good with tension. And when you apply water pressure on one side of the glass, which is significant with the tank of that size, it pushes the glass out that's creating tension. Because it's pulling on the corners of the glass. And the glass can only handle Bowing as such to as high as its own thickness before it becomes detrimental.

Now if you decide to go rimless you will be forced to go with very thick glass. Which will drive your cost up. Also if you are not using starphire glass then you will also be affecting the visibility of the inside of your tank. Since high iron glass has a green tinge to it that green tinge starts becoming more and more visible the thicker the glass is.

From my experience here's my recommendation. Rimless is fine on tanks that are shorter than 4 feet. Any longer than 4 feet though I strongly recommend that you use eurobracing. Even if it's only on the front and the back of the tank. Which by the way, reduces the cost of your bracing a lot. if you use a strip on the front and strip on the back.