View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I think it's dependent most on what the outside temperatures are. For me, humidity became a problem when it became colder than -10 or so outside at night, in the mornings I'd find frozen condensation on the windows and stuff like that. Consensation that doesn't dry out can lead to things like mold. So in a way, if you don't notice it, it might not be at problem levels.

For me the HRV was the answer, but as been suggested it isn't the only answer. And I would imagine it depends on what you're dealing with outside. In my case, it's a dehumidifier because the air coming in from the outside is pretty dry. If the air outside was super wet because it was raining then I would think I'm just replacing humid air with more humid air and not really solving the humidity issue (maybe getting fresh air though, which is always a bonus). But having said that though, if was raining outside, that suggests it's probably quite a bit warmer than -10, and therefore I'm probably not dealing with excessive condensation on the windows anyhow at that point.

To a degree having some humidity is actually pretty nice. If I crank my HRV to the max and dry out the house, I may have dry windows but it's also unpleasantly dry. I try to adjust the intensity based on the outside temperature to basically as humid as possible without there being pools of water forming on the windowsills (I can live with a little bit of window fogginess as long as it dries out during the day). When it's super cold outside I have to have it set higher, but on most "normal" winter days that's not necessary.

Also beyond out own comfort, if you have hardwood floors, those will need some degree of relative humidity in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinreefer View Post
at what range does humidity become a problem?

im sitting at about 50% now. i know its been upto 60 even just a month ago.

i have AC, but obviously not running that during this part of the year.

i do not have a HRV. nor do i really know what it actually is. i do know what it stands for lol.

i didnt think humidity would be an issue as my tank is basically in the center of a very open lay out house. i thought any moisture would just dissipate throughout the house's square footage.

any thoughts?