View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 05:03 AM

clownin about is on a distinguished road

O.K. Time for some elbow grease...so WTH cleans silicone?!! Lots of fresh razor blades, lemon & stainless steel wool, that's what. I used a vise grip with a new razor in the jaws to try & cut apart the panes. My gaps were tight making some of the panes very difficult to pry apart, one razor blade snapped on me, good thing I was wearing protective gloves as my knuckle went right into the broken edge of the razor blade that was still stuck in between the panes. Nothing like trying to remain calm at 3AM (seemed like a good time to work on it) whilst one is bleeding to death. Got my new gloves all messy, at least I didn't get any hemoglobin on the carpet. Alright, got the bloody(!) panes apart, now it's time to head over to the bathtub for some scraping & scrubbing. I placed some vintage floor mats from a 1973 Comet GT (I just knew they would come in handy eventually) on the bottom of the tub to keep the glass from sliding around too much & damaging the tub. Took the lemon & coated the silicone with it, then razor'd as much as I could with a ton of fresh blades. After that I scrubbed it to death with the stainless wool. Many hours later & I am finally ready to start my project over again. One thing I did notice is that the Starfire being a softer glass is much easier to scratch than regular float, I also managed to chip it. Here's me scrubbin' the back piece: