Thread: Tank upgrade
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM

NemoanDory is on a distinguished road
Default Tank upgrade

So just thought I would share my exciting yet lot of work news. I am have my floor of the house reenforced. I have decided to upgrade from my 110 gal to a 230. I am going to go with 72 x 28 x 26 starphire front glass, polished edges, euro brace and external overflow on the end. I haven't ordered it yet but going to do so today. Suggestions and opinions on this are greatly appreciated. I know its an odd measurement but reason for that is cause of the location I am putting the tank that's what fits.

I should be doing this in about 2 weeks i have been toying with this idea for the last couple of weeks and finally decided to go ahead and do it.

In order to do this I have really only one way to do it. So I would love anyone's in put. Here is the only real option I have because of the size of my house.

I am going to buy 3-4 large tubs from sal art those 50 gal size ones. In one I am going to put all the corals and rock that has corals on it into that tubs. I am going to use a different tub and put the skimmer and filter stuff in and have it run in use with the corals in the other tub the remaining rock and fish will go in and I will put my aqua clear 110 filter on it. The remaining water will go into another tub with some rock and a filter. Wow my house will be a mess of fish stuff lol good thing I live alone ha haha. Once that is all done I will move the old tank out and put the new one in place do all the plumbing and put new sand in.

Once the plumbing is all set I will than fill the tank partially with new saltwater and than use the 100+ gals of water I saved and transfer everything over. One of the local fish stores said I shouldn't have any problems doing this as long as for the first bit I really stay on top of my water changes as I might have a small cycle happen. I do water changes once a week so during this time should I be doing 2 a week? If so much same as now 20%?

I don't want my corals to stay in the tub longer than 24 hrs. What are your thoughts on all this. I cannot fill the new tank and keep the old one running that is not an option for me as I do not have the room in my house to do this.

Thanks so much

Last edited by NemoanDory; 10-04-2011 at 01:35 PM.