View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The other day you seemed to agree that 10 years wasn't reasonable, what's changed??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
LEDs should last longer because they will only lose some output but not shift in spectrum. So 6+ years is a reasonable estimate for LEDs.
Perhaps changing a ballast is as easy as changing a driver, that's fair enough, but how many drivers are used to drive 250W of LED compared to the number of ballasts for 500W of halide?
How is changing an LED as easy as changing a Halide or T5 bulb? Even the shear number of LEDs to replace in comparison, it wouldn't take much longer to start over. Sorry but if you have to break out a soldering iron it's not that easy. Plus I'd like to talk about actual fixtures not DIY approaches. Like I said let's stay in the real world.

My assumptions were very little, you're assuming way more including price drop when more realistically the LEDs you need to replace down the road will be extinct and difficult to source. You'll have to adapt new types of LEDs into the fixture which will add more complication. Maybe perhaps someone could provide a manual from a supplier of an LED fixture that shows the user how to replace the LEDs? I imagine such thing doesn't exist, for obvious reason.

Last edited by sphelps; 04-16-2010 at 06:52 PM.