View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 09:35 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road

Good to hear, Brett! You know what's weird for me, I actually bought a ready-made DIY hood that had 2 x MH moguls, spider reflectors, fans, grills, and 2 x 250W Icecap ballasts, shipped from a guy in the states, and it was significantly ($100?) cheaper than buying those parts locally, even after shipping and duties.

I just took the parts out and put them into my own DIY hood.

Having done these projects, I cant wait to get my own fixer-upper house and renovate it myself, just like those home improvement shows! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight
Yes for me the reward already has been immense. I've never had a space to mess around in and now having a basement allows me to do just that. This stand will surely cost more than a retail one but in the end I made it, I know it's strong, and i can make it exactly as I want it (with my limited skillset). Plus, like you said, It's a chance to learn. I'm on a computer all day and it's nice to do some hands-on work like this.

I expect to save on the canopy as I bought a retrofit 250 W MH fixture but I wouldn't be surprised if I spend as much or more than a comparable retail unit by the time I'm done putting fans in etc.

Brett