Thread: Ghl or apex
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 01:48 PM

Jakegr is on a distinguished road

I have had both... switched to Apex last year.

I found Apex is a bit more difficult to set up, but once I figured it out I found it a lot more user friendly than GHL, especially Apex Fusion. There are also a lot of accessories and the computer has broad compatibility with 3rd party products. One thing that I don't like about Apex lately is that the expensive Vortech module is slowly becoming useless, as it is not compatible with Vectra or other new Ecotech products.

GHL was a great computer too. It was easy to set up and I like that they offer an optical water level sensor. The Mitras IMO is still one of the best LED lights on the market too, and their new doser looks spectacular (and reasonably priced... unusual for GHL). The main things that drove me nuts were 1) lack of compatibility of other aquarium products with GHL and slow new product development (just a small company problem I think) and 2) how insanely un-user friendly firmware updates were (firm ware updates would always fail by USB, and would then require a difficult to find cord and special procedure to update firmware).... I really hope GHL has fixed that by now as it was a ridiculous issue for such an expensive computer. Also, last I checked there were not many GHL dealers in Canada. Ultimately it was the unreliable firmware updates, lack of MAC compatibility (now not an issue I believe) and lack of new product development that made me change to Apex.