View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 PM

fishyfolks is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear you are back home. Living out in Vancouver, we just can't believe what's been happening out there. Our thoughts are with you all now and in the coming weeks/months while you try to get things back to 'normal'

As far as the water goes, when I lived in Calgary, I'd occasionally just use tap water for water changes. However, my concern now would be whether or not the turbidity has brought any unwanted properties into your tap water. Do you know if the city has tested for copper or metal properties as well as what the ph is at? I know sometimes flooding can really affect water quality.

Regarding mixing time, I have had tanks 'crash' where I've had to mix water FAST. I've done emergency water changes within an hour. I use a powerful pump as well, and I know exactly how much salt I need to add to my 26 gallon bucket though, so that probably helps. I my add salt and water (i throw a thermometer in while adding water so that i can monitor the temp as I go and get it as close to my tank temp as possible) and let it mix with a heater for an hour. It certainly isn't ideal, but desperate times......

Good luck!!
175 Gallon Tank, 33 Gallon Sump, 2 x AI COLOR SOL, Leather corals, colts corals, several brain corals, misc frogspawn, misc sps corals, purple tang, yellow tang, naso tang, hippo tang, 4 clown fish, 5 clams and many many inverts