View Single Post
Old 06-21-2002, 07:14 PM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road
Default 20-30 damsels or cromis in a 120 reef?

Patrick,

Short of going for a 500+ gallon tank so you can have true schooling fish I don't know of any that will go in a smaller tank.

Bangaii's are hit and miss. Some are shoaling fish and some aren't. I bought five black cardinals after reading they were a shoaling fish. They weren't. The smallest beat the snot out of the rest. :confused: yeah I know. Cardinals for the most part will do well in pairs only. Due to the lack of space in our systems we really can't keep a large group of fish.

Some people do have luck with chromis while some don't. I had a group in my old 90 and the smallest was killed in weeks. Then the group moved on to the next smallest. You can figure out the rest.

I think you will find for the most part our tanks are too small to keep a larger group of fish in them. Even smaller bodied fish.

There are people who have success and there are those who don't. I think it is like anything in this hobby. Sometimes it works.. sometimes it doesn't. Tehre are fish that when they are juveniles are fine in groups. They prefer it that way in the wild for protection. ie regal tang. But once they start maturing they lose this self preservation instinct and go it on their own.

For the welfare of the animals tho I never suggest overloading a tank. We have a very very tiny area for these fish to live in. We need to be very careful with what goes into the tank so that we get a peacful harmony.

With that said. in a nutshell other thana group of barnacle blennies I don't know of many small fish that do well in large numbers in a small tank. All I have ever seen exhibit agression in one form or another.