View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road
Default My sugar/ammonia rock curing experiment

One of the problems with new rock is leaching PO4 that is bound in the calcium carbonate and from dead organics. The "dry rock" that I'm cycling in a spare tank was giving a PO4 reading of 0.8, and I was beginning to think it would be months before I could use it in my new tank (when it eventually gets here) So...

I thought I'd try carbon dosing. Reading threads around the web, I haven't found any information on curing rocks this way. Lanthanum Chloride, GFO, water changes, but no sugar.

Since there is no livestock, I wanted to OD the tank on carbon, and skim out the bacteria bloom.

Saturday morning I added a tablespoon of sugar, and by the afternoon I had cloudy water. I set my skimmer up in the top, and let it go to town. The result was tons of light colored skimmate, that looked innocent, but smelled disgusting. When I put the skimmer in I added some pure ammonia to keep the tank from becoming nitrate limited.

So yesterday I came home to crystal clear water, with a reading of 0.06!

Last night, one day later, I added another tablespoon of sugar and enough ammonia to bring the level to 4 ppm. I'll test the water again tonight.