View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by philg3 View Post
Cheers Scuba, i like your lazy math style, it suits me perfectly.

So your saying that i should drop the weir down low enough that my pump can run its chamber dry in case of a blockage. im not so worried about the beananimal blocking, the emergency standpipe is never underwater so i dont know how that could get blocked, but crazy things do happen (my second floor sprinkler exploded and rained water from the ceiling all over my tank last month!). Im more worried that the holes from the weir to external box might get blocked. maybe some small holes all along the top would help in an emergency? above the waterline and right into the external box, so if the large holes somehow both get blocked, you have the smaller ones along the top to drain. That is drilling a bunch of tiny holes in my tank though.

I also think that i could make the weir even smaller, maybe lose the whole angle and just do it straight up and down 1/2"? what do you think? just less of an eyesore in my display and less of a shadow from the lights.
Ya, that's the general idea. Personally, I am giving less room at that top than I should because I have a silly amount of confidence in the beananimal design... all depends on how much you trust your system. Don't bother with having to drill a bunch of tiny holes. 2 or 3 big holes will suffice. I recommend making the weir box as small as possible but you want it to be workable in case you need to get your fingers in there for whatever reason. Ultimately, That is why I decided on a rimless, external overflow with a notched back glass... no weir box at all.