View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
Another member (Thanks Dearth) posted a link to another forum discussing the use use of an Anti-Fungal fish medication called Fluconazole to kill Bryopsis algae. It has been an ugly battle for many years in the hobby, not won by many. People used to raise their Magnesium levels with Kent Tech-M to 1600 and higher, but since they must've changed their recipe it no longer seems to have an effect. I've tried it 4 times without success

Fluconazole comes with several different trade names and packaging. The gel capsules are not used in the treatment, they are emptied into tank water and dissolved the best you can (it won't completely dissolve apparently)
Heres an example of the medication.

And heres and example of what it can do to Bryopsis in 8 Days

Day 1.....Day 5....Day 8

The above tank was dosed with 20mg per 1 gallon of tank water (5mg/L). Only one time with no other changes to the tank. Theres a little bit more algae there in the last photo but this is a current treatment and should be completely gone in another day or 2. Another dosing rate has been mentioned @ 9mg/L with success as well but doesnt look like you need that much based on these photos ^^^

i don't know of any source in Canada that sells this product without a prescription, but hopefully one day and more time and tests are done that your local fish store may begin to carry it. It can be purchased currently online in the US and shipped here though. Personal experience anyways, no guarantees Canada Customs will continue to allow this...

Discuss if you must.
If you try it please share your results!
And please do your research first beyond this thread! This is a place to discuss, I'm not telling anyone they SHOULD try this. But if you have Bryopsis and would like to get rid of it, this looks very promising....amazing

Is that just one dose and wait 8 days?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips