Thread: GoPro reviews
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 05:26 PM

FishingGoalie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
Hey guys and gals. I'm looking at picking up a GoPro camera. What models have you used, do you wish you got something else, what do you recommend?

I'm fairly rough and active with my gear. Probably 80% of this camera's use is going to be diving or under water for various other reasons. Initially I'm leaning to the Hero4 Silver probably because of the view screen which is not on the Black model. The black model however appears to have better pic, vid and fov qualities.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
Ok so there is a very large difference in a GoPro and a normal camera, (i.e. Sea Life DC1400, and the TG-2) I have had all 3 and still have all 3. When i first got my GoPro I used it for diving mainly, but also used it for snowmobiling, and quading.

I loved it and still do but it wasn't what i wanted. I like still shots for diving and the GoPro does not do still shots for diving very well as the shutter speed is not very good and you can't attach a good flash system to it. As for video the GoPro is probably the best video camera you can get. Just attach a red filter and away you go.

Then I had the TG-2 and let me tell you it is the sweetest camera I've ever used it did everything perfectly was easy to use and took absolutely amazing photos. The main reason i liked it was because i could download other programs onto it. So what i did was find a program specifically for the SeaLife DC1400 then found on the same forum a DC1400 program made for the Olympus Pen (TG-2) which made the camera automatically add filters to change at certain depths. This camera has been the best I've used but it is quite expensive and its very large to try and take on vacation. But then again all good cameras are quite large. Lol

Now for the SeaLife DC1400 which i just purchase a couple months back that way when we went on shorter trips I didn't have to haul a massive Gun Case full of camera gear. Now before all you camera guys start saying the Dc1400s are garbage the one i have is new, and what has happened in the last year is they have paired up with Dragon Strobes (top of the line flashes specifically for underwater use) 3 years ago i would never even think about buying one and now they are actually probably one of the best bang for buck or beginner cameras. I have used it on multiple trips and still really really enjoy it. Its shutter speed isn't as good as the TG-2 so I don't find is quite as good. Its ease of use under the water is fantastic with the Piano style buttons.

It all depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want mainly stills for definitely spend the extra money and get a TG-2 or 3 and get a strobe for it. Take a camera course to learn how your camera works in order to set the white balance under the water. The Camera place may even do it for you if you tell them thats what you want to use it for.

If your just looking for video the GoPro is definitely the way to go. But make sure you get a red filter.

And if space, and price is an issue go for a DC1400.

If i were to rebuy all my cameras i would've definitely bought the TG-2 or 3 and bought a extended tray so i could have a flash arm on one side a go pro mount on the other side, that i could switch out for a underwater flash light during night dives.

I know that there are other cameras out there, but this is just my experience and i don't have any specific complaint about any of the cameras.

Hope this Helps