View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 12:48 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the great input guys. I will reply to all the posts in one post

1. I have cut from home depot before for free too but this time, the guy charged me $2/cut and I had 18 cuts. The cashier was telling me I could have bought my own saw with a little more money. I told him that I was never charged before and he told me that the management recently got very strict about this since there are people picking up expensive wood to get very accurate cut (while home depot only guarantee the cut to be accurate to certain inches) and not pay for the wood even if the measurement was 1/8" off. Plus I can't get a saw because I live in a rented apartment and the sound of saw might be unpleasant for the neighbors.

2. I wasn't planning on skinning the stand (I am not much of an handyman) plus the sand is too twisted to be skinned. I am not very good with wood works but this one was down right terrible

3. I made the height of the stand so tall that the curvature of the wood got in the way and I couldn't get it straightened out (tried doing that). The cute were accurate (well almost) but the one or two of the woods were too bent.

Since I had to learn the hard way that I am not very good at making wood structures (my last stand was good but this was embarrassingly terrible), I ordered an oceanic biocube 29 gallon tank stand from J&L. Should have saved the money I spend on the lumbers and the cut and get it from J&L in the first place; on well, year end lesson learnt And since the stand is made for 29 gallon tank (and the dimensions are prefect for my tank), I am sure it will hold just fine.

Man that stand is embarrassing

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob