Thread: Greg's 75g
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Welp, I almost pooched the sump drilling holes ...

I bought the glass for the bubble trap, chaeto tank, and a skimmer stand.
I asked for an x-tra piece to practice drilling.
I drilled 3 holes in the practice piece, the last of which turned out OK, and proceeded to drill the chaeto hole, thinking this would be the next least valuable piece to destroy.
It turned out alright, so I then drilled the bottom of the 20g new water holding tank.
Let me tell you, drilling 1/4" vs a 20g is no comparison. I was planning on drilling the 20 only part way from the outside, and then match the hole up on the inside in the hopes of having a clean hole.
Well, before I knew it, I was all the way through the 20. And it chipped like I had used an axe. So, strike one. At least the gasket covers the chips.
I then proceeded to drill the sump.
This I took my time with, carefully planning where I want my holes in relation to drainage and pump placement, and where the bubble trap would be. I also didn't want any 'chip-out' this time.
I succesfully drilled the first of two holes, and decided to take a break so as not to rush the whole procedure. Basically, I felt really confident that I was making progress, but felt I should slow down so I wouldn't make any mistakes.
So, after spending a few minutes on Canreef with a beer, I went back to it.
I did everything the same as the first sump hole ...
Nicely taped jig, dam with enough water, circling the bit around, then ...
OMGWTF am I doing
I had placed the jig on the wrong side of the tape
See, I had placed the tape on the outside of the sump, with the arc showing me where to drill, and I was drilling from the inside out. The arc was not visible through the tape, hence the dumbass move.
Thankfully, I only went in about 1/16", and can put a plate over it. Plus, it's on the inside, so it'll be strong enough.
But what really bothers me is the lack of attention ...
I wanted everything to be just right

Now I have this partially drilled hole visible from the outside of the sump, which is in plain view on the floor of my office.

Last edited by gregzz4; 01-05-2012 at 07:55 AM.