View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 AM

KevinK is on a distinguished road
Default turf scrubber, not working (at least nothing growing in 8 weeks)

below you se some pictures of my turf scrubber I mad

i followed this as guide:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...er-basics.html
thy have bin researching how many 3W LEDs you need to use. The general consensus at this point seems to be that you need one 3W LED on each side for every 15-20 square inches of screen. Going with the new feeding-based sizing guidelines, it seems that a simple technique would be to use one 3W LED on each side for every 12 square inches. So a 2-cube/day Algae Scrubber would need 4 3W LEDs, two on each side.

my screen is 3 x 16 inches, and should be for about 3 cubes of food a day

now I know my tank is fairly new (9 or 11 weeks running now) and i don't have much fish (only one Y-tang, 3 cardinals and 3 other little once) but I build it to the 3 cubes, because the amount of fish will change in the future. I do have to mention that all live rock, came out of my frag tank, and when filling the tank, from the 300 gallon, 200 was existing qwater out of the frag tank and sump, this to minimise the NTS

I use 4 red cree LED’s on each side, and thy are about 1 inch from the mesh, running them 18 H a day during the early evening to the early morning.

I used a blowe outlet to spray a nice shower of water onto my mesh, with a maxijet 1200

not my tank I may call has a fair amount of hair algae, first thy where the red once, but now for the last 4 weeks are brown

now what I wonder is, how come there is nothing growing on my mesh

do I maybe have it lit to much, or are the LED’s to strong

interestingly, as you se on the mesh, you se 2 lighter spots, these spots aer dead on , underneath the led’s

any input ?