View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I would try to use about 50% water from the old tanks. Move that water over to the new tank. Then use the rest of the old water to fill a Rubbermaid tub. Remove rock from both tanks and put into tub along with corals. Catch fish and put them in a bucket with old water. Give each rock a swish in the tub, then move to new tank, then add corals. Top up so tank is full, let run for an hour or so. Add fish. Leave lights off for at least 12-24 hours, then run only the blues/actinic if you notice any fish are stressed. Corals will be fine in low light for about a week if needed.

I also like the SeaChem Ammonia Alert badges that can be found most everywhere. Look in box stores if you can't find them at your LFS. They run $8-16 depending where you buy them. I don't find them overly accurate as far as the corresponding numbers go, but I do find that they work well as an alert. If you see ANY color change you need to use an ammonia detoxifier. I like Amquel. Use dosing instructions as a place to start, keep adding more if needed to keep the alert at "0". These alerts work great for tank transfers and quarantine tanks. They last a year. I write the date on them with a Jiffy when I open a new one.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 03-28-2013 at 01:57 AM.