View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 04:55 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

If you're not using a doser, not much of this matters;

I've used Dead Sea Works Mag Chloride in the past along with Epsom Salts from Walmart and such.
I found the mix would not 'stay' mixed in my dosing container. It would settle out the next day or so. This deposited stuff would plug the pickup tube.
I then tried using J&L's MC with ES and it still settled out. It's the ES that's the issue.
I tried the DSW MC with J&L's Mag Sulphate and it was good.
I've since switched over to J&L's Reef Crest Mag part C stuff.
After mixing, I pour the product into my dosing container leaving the small amount of crystals that just won't mix behind. This mix stays mixed. Period.

I wrote I use J&L's part C. I buy the pouches and they are crystals, not flake.

So Doug, I'd recommend you buy the crystals, not the flake, based on my mixing, settling, and sediment experience.

160g MC and 125gMS makes 20oz. I mix 6 packs to make 3550ml. This works perfectly with Randy's formula for dosing.

If you buy it bulk from J&L, no you're not seeing things.
They sell the MC in 1250 and 2500g jugs, and the MS in 1600 and 3200g jugs. This is totally backwards from the 160g and 125g portions in the pouches.
Jeff tells me this is because people blend bulk at their own discretion. I think it's a mistake and they should reverse their jug sizes.
You'd get 20 doses from each jug; enough to perfectly mix 11.8 litres.
Instead you'll run out of 1 before the other, thus having multiple jugs on the shelf.