View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 05:59 PM

PFoster is on a distinguished road

Here is how I am preparing the food mixture for these piece.
1 tsp Fauna Marin Ultra MinF
1 tsp Fauna Marin Ultra Clam
1 tsp Fauna Marin Ultra SeaFan
1 tsp Fauna Marin Zoa/Acan (I didnt use this on the first batch of food, but I am using it now)
7 tsp MinD

Mix the above together and ut it in the fridge overnight.
When the mixture does into the fridge will will be a liquid. The idea here is that you are allowing the dryfood to hydrate in the MinD. Once the food has absorbed as much minD as it can what you have will be a paste.

This pic is of the "dryest" past you would want to make. This type of paste works very well with the Ultra Pac where you would be target feeding the corals as opposed to feeding the tank.

The mixture I have above is a slightly wetter paste.

And here is a picture of what happens if you do not add quite enough MinD:

Here the foods have not fully hydrated in the MinD as not quite enough was added. If you make a paste too dry like this, just add some more MinD, stir and let it sit for a few hours to overnight and it should turn into a nice paste.

But again for dosing the tank I have been making a much wetter food.

Once the food has sat overnight and fully hydrated in the MinD I food the food into my inverted 750ml bottle and fill the bottle with tank water.

In this pic you actually see some fresh phyto in the bottle which i have not been using for a while now.
The inverted 750ml bottle has 2 airline nipples on the bottom. One is drawing food, the other is food up to an air pump and a VERY small amount of air is bubbled through the food. Just enought to keep it turning and in suspension. Too much air will essentially create a skimmer in the bottle.
I would like to order a few magnetic stirrers after seeing some of the amazing azoox tanks here, but I just have not gotten around to it yet as this system has been working for me so far.