View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 05:54 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Both are way over priced for what's offered, not to mention insane shipping costs. I think we're pretty close to the point now where you should be able to get something locally for a reasonable price that will work for you.

The first link looks like SMD5630 strip lighting which is quite bright but definitely overpriced for the product. With a little DIY work you can order 5 meter reels of these lights, on eBay if you wish, with free shipping from China for around $30 which will in many cases include a 12 volt power supply & dimming control. The aluminum housings could also be sourced the same way, but some aluminum angle procured locally would probably work as well.

Same goes for link #2 with respect to cost, although probably a better deal for what you get. This light uses a combination of 50 watt & 20 watt multi chip LEDs, also available as discrete components on eBay for the DIY folks. One thing to note with this fixture is I don't see any fans & I'd be concerned that the multi-chips could be rather short lived. They don't do well if not adequately cooled. Should be a fan on that housing somewhere. I've used 29 of these in the 10 watt power range to build my own fixture which has been running for just under 2 years. Each one is mounted on individual heat sink with fan. A while back I added two lengths of RGB SMD5050 strips for dawn/dusk lighting & to provide just a hint of red & green. Link to my build is down by my name & tank details.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-29-2013 at 05:58 PM.