View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 06:07 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
My 50g is sumpless. Running on a Tunze Reefpack 505. Simple, quiet, low power and foolproof. Suits me just fine. My remote sump was high end quality and worked perfect also, just not my cup of tea. I know its not the big thing on this side of the ocean but it is in Europe, where many residence are smaller and sumps are not popular.
Those Reefpacks look pretty interesting. I have run both types of tanks and have never really had problems either way. I have used a couple of different styles of HOB skimmers with my Aquamaxx being the favorite as there is only 2 small pipes in the water. The only problem I've had is that once my skimmer went nuts and started overflowing and if I wasn't right beside the tank it would have dumped a lot of water on the floor. The in tank Tunzes look like a safer way to go but if you think overflow boxes in the tank are ugly you probably don't want one of the internal skimmers. I usually throw on an Aquaclear power filter to run carbon or what not and use the sponge for a little extra mechanical filtration, it takes about a minute to clean.