View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 04:43 PM

cyberdude47 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s View Post
I am going to say, Your results are confusing.

First off before I continue as I am going to start looking at the basics you seem a knowledgeable person, which is clear in your responses. My comments are not relative to your ability to keep a tank.

Here are my questions,

1: Skimmer - describe the waste colour.

2: Nitrates - what means are you using to test this? Is your kit in date, are you insuring you are both shaking the bottles and test samples between Bottle # 1 and Bottle # 2

I am really guessing my way through this because your test results are odd. You mentioned you ran "lights out" for 10 days - Do you have photosynthetic corals?

Algae can make use of low spectrum lighting, is your tank facing a window?
Sorry not trying to make things confusing and I do appreciate all help as any knowledge is helpful.

Skimmer collection is a dark green. I've been trying my best to skim wet but with the bubble king its difficult as it wants to overflow
Nitrates are tested with a salifert kit. Now I'm not feeling great regarding the kits results as the kit is a couple years old now and I have had skewed results from old kits and I have ordered new test kits to double check results

I do have photosynthetic coral and SPS which why I ran only a maximum of ten days. I know its quite a stretch but I wanted to try all options. And yes the tank is very close to a French door that leads outside. The windows on the doors do have internal blinds that I leave closed at all times but some ambient light still reaches the tank that I'm aware could be a contributing factor but the tank cannot go anywhere else as the plumbing goes through the wall at that point to the equipment wet closet